By the Maine Pomological Society
The Maine State Pomological Society will hold the 22 annual Maine Apple Sunday on September 18, 2022. Maine Apple Sunday kicks off the peak of the apple harvest. During this time of year, summer apples are still available, and the other varieties are ready for first picking. Apple orchards from Wells to Caribou will celebrate by offering special activities at their orchards. Find out more – and the most current info – at MaineApples.org.
Read about some of the activities happening during Maine Apple Sunday
- Bailey’s Orchard in Whitefield will give out free apple squares and have several apple prize drawings.
- Boothby’s Orchard and Farm in Livermore, At the farm and orchard at 366 Boothby Road, from 10-4 we will be offering free wagon rides (weather permitting) to the pondside orchard, $5 wine tastings in the orchard, cheese, and cider samples while they last and easy, accessible apple picking! Meet the cows, walk the vineyard and enjoy the day with us.
- Brackett Orchards in Limington will be participating in Maine Apple Sunday this year. Along with pick-your-own apples, we’ll have donuts and cider. For 9/17 and 9/18 only, we will also have free rides on our orchard train and free use of our apple slingshot.
- Brock Orchards in Lyman will be celebrating Maine Apple Sunday hosting a Cornhole Tournament at the Orchard as well as having Gotta Be Frank Gourmet Food Truck. We will also be giving away a couple of Apple Products Baskets by drawing.
- Chick’s Apple and Berry Farm in Monmouth will offer u-pick and ready-picked Macs, Early Honeycrisp, and u-pick pumpkins on apple Sunday and a great view.
- Gathering Winds Farm in Poland is going to raffle off a terrific gift basket, plus 5 lucky raffle winners will win free apples. On This Day they Also Celebrate the Kick- off of Deaf Culture Awareness Week. The unique blend and opportunity of language and Culture activities on the farm this day! Open to all.
- Greenwood Orchards Farm Stand in Turner at 174 Auburn Road, will be open from 8 AM to 6 PM on Maine Apple Sunday. We will be offering all Customers a free apple from our Orchards in Buckfield and West Turner. Stop by and see our Store, Bakery & Cider Mill. Check us out on Facebook.
- Hansel’s Orchard in North Yarmouth will celebrate Maine Apple Sunday with samples of some of our favorite recipes and a raffle for a peck of pick-your-own apples.
- Hazel Hill Orchard in Turner Special offerings: Apple Dessert tasting and recipes, and free giveaways.
- Libby & Son U-Picks in Limerick – will have a surprise gift in the first (50) ½ bushel apple bags purchased! There will also be Balloon Characters, Live Music, and more!
- At McDougal Orchards in Sanford, you can join us to pick your own apples and raspberries, go on a wagon ride around the orchard, enjoy a bucket-full of hot cider donuts, explore Fairy Village, and get lost in our corn maze! We will be donating 10% of all u-pick apple sales from Maine Apple Sunday to the Sanford Backpack Program. This program sends local kids in need home for the weekend with a “backpack full of nutritious and easy-to-prepare food to ensure they can maintain a balanced diet and return to school on Monday ready to focus on learning.” Join us on Maine Apple Sunday to enjoy a day at the orchard while helping us give back to the community that has supported our family farm for generations! For more information, visit Sanford Backpack Program
- Mullis Orchards in Corinna will participate in Maine Apple Sunday with our farm stand open at 270 Dexter Road in Corinna, and our PYO open at 128 Shaker Road, Corinna. We will be having apple sampling, free gift basket raffles, and lots of special surprises for our customers that day.
- Pleasant Pond Orchard in Richmond will have freshly picked apples and other fruits like blueberries, peaches, and pears. Baked goods made with our fruits. Maine-grown vegetables, eggs, and honey from other farmers. Handmade gifts produced in Maine. Live acoustic music in the afternoon.
- Ricker Hill in Turner will have a food truck, U Pick apples and farm activities, a corn maze, and a special on carbonated sweet cider, plus Mr. Drew and his animals too will be here.
- Romac Orchard in Acton will have a corn maze, disc golf course, and free hay rides that would make for a fun time on Maine Apple Sunday at Romac Orchards.
- Sweetser’s Apple Barrel in Cumberland This is our annual tasting day. Apple crisp, individual apple varieties, and fresh cider tasting. 10 am until 4 pm.
- The Apple Farm in Fairfield will have wagon rides, apple picking, and fiddle music.
- Wallingford Orchard in Auburn will have Pick-your-own and pre-picked apples. Fabulous bakery. Petting zoo and hayrides too!